Monday, July 02, 2007

It's No Mings

We've all agreed to post on our weekend excursion to Orchid and Scoopology in a Sandy strip mall. Here's a link to Mindy's blog http://mindyholman.blogspot.com/2007/07/scoopology.html and Tari, may have mentioned it on her blog http://taribrandi.blogspot.com/

Okay, so Orchid. It was nice, quaint and quiet. At least until Hayley and I showed up. Apparently we got a lot of dirty looks from the other patrons who aren't used to the shrieks of kids. The tapioca drink was totally awesome. Black tapioca in fruit infused milk shakes or milk ice, not sure, but the straw was huge to accommodate the size of the tapioca pieces. That right there was something I'd go back for. But the food was slow in coming and the community rice? The "generous portion" of rice as advertised on the menu, was lacking. I think for the 6 of us, we each got a spoonful. And then it took about 20 minutes to have a waiter other than our own bring us another woefully small portion of "generous" rice. The food itself was delicious. My food was so spicy it burned my face off, which is a good thing as long as they keep the water full, which was a problem for Mindy and Tari, who only got one refill and that was after we were completely done eating.
Of course the waiter apologized for the short staffing but only when we were all filling out his tip. That was convenient. So the bottom line: Poor service, awesome but small portions of food (and rice!) and lame waiters. It's no Mings!

Next was Scoopology(!) an ice cream place where you can get crushed cereal on your ice cream plus plenty of other mix-ins. You can also get a PB &J sandwich if your mom is too busy to make you one. So I tried several kinds of ice cream before settling on the cookie dough. The ice cream itself was bland, but cookie dough is yummy. I got marshmallows which I love with ice cream, but they weren't mixed in, they were placed under the scoop in the waffle bowl (included with every purchase) and on the top. I should have tried the chocolate lucky charms, but that is something I will just have to regret. Bottom line: it was good, but I'd take a larger helping over a waffle bowl any day. I'll go back, but I'll be thinking of Cold Stone while I'm there.

Still, it's nice to hang out with a group of friends and chat. We had a good time and really it's the company that makes the evening, and we definitely had that in spades! Love you guys!

2 comments:

Tari said...

I love it!! I have been telling everyone about Scoopology! We should start making it a regular occurance!

Mindy said...

i feel like i should add that my food was really spicy and so the absence of my refill was really horrible.