Thursday, June 18, 2009

You Better Bring Your own Sun

About a month ago Tori Amos came out with a new album. Abnormally Attracted to Sin. I was apprehensive, the reviews were mixed with good and bad spots but it sounded similar to the last album, American Doll Posse which took more than a while to grow on me. Matter of fact, it’s not a go to album, and neither is the album previous, the Beekeeper.
I decided to buy the album, which came in a deluxe version with a DVD of the visualettes for each song and a fold out poster of our girl, Tori. I listened to it online at work, but I was neutral. I neither liked, nor disliked it.
Went my shipment from Amazon finally got to me, I popped the DVD into TV and watched the visualettes until I got kicked off the TV by Husband. Since then the CD has been living in my car (with a brief respite to rip it at work) and I am LOVING it. It has some throw away tracks, but the ones I was expecting not to like, I really do.
"Give," which is reminiscent of To Venus opens with lots of synth. Tori has gone fairly electronic on this album and it is usually a good thing. I’m digging "Welcome to England" and everything up until "Not Dying Today," which it better with the visuals, but not enough to save it. The next 3 tracks get standing ovations from me, "Maybe California" and "Curtain Call" are both really raw and beautiful and "Fire to Your Plain", I might not know what it’s about but the chorus keeps me singing along. "Police Me" is another I would toss. Nothing special about it. "That Guy" seems very cabaret, musical to me, I’m sure Erika would disagree, but I think this one at least, is influenced by what she’s doing on the musical for the West End that she’s working on. After that the album gets a little muddled, the title track and "500 Miles" are fine, "Mary Jane" is one I don’t think I’ll ever like. It’s about pot, it doesn’t seem very clever to me and I’m bored, but others have said they just love it. I’m sure it will be funny live. "Starling" is okay but then we get to "Fast Horse," which I didn’t think I would like on first listen. She’s changing vowels and has some weird accent but after a few listens, I adore it! I also like the New York reference. It feels like it could slip onto Scarlet’s Walk and be right at home. It has that same feel, and of course that album is in my top 5 records. "Ophelia" is great, it starts off sounding a lot like "Gold Dust," which I don’t love, but then we get a thumping chorus and it bring the whole thing to awesome. The album finishes off with "Lady in Blue," which is fine. I swear she says “black” instead of “blue” but Tori hadn’t been taught her vowels very well. It show cases her piano playing well and at the end when it’s just the instruments it’s brilliant and makes me continue to start the CD over again and listen more.
Over all I give it a B+. I think that might be a little high because I was expecting to not like it and have to really try to get into it, so even though there are songs I don’t love, there are plenty of songs that I really can’t get enough of, and it’s been a while since I felt that way about a Tori song.
She’s coming to our little valley July 20th! I’ll be there.

1 comment:

ekluvsny said...

I guess I need to hear "That Guy" and scold you for not knowing what Cabaret sounds like. :) HUGS.

Send it my way I'll at least take a gander. :)