Friday, November 09, 2007

And I hate , and I Hate , And I Hate Elevator Music

I want to stop caring. I work at at job where mostly I couldn't care less, I go through the motions of making decisions, but sometimes I'm following policy and BAM! I'm fighting for this policy, this stupid, inane policy to be followed by those people who tell me that this policy (which falls just short of a state law although, maybe it is?) doesn't matter. And all the sudden I care. I care whether the policy is actually being followed and every day I'm consumed with angst and frustration and I have to go to this job and pretend that it doesn't bother me that my bosses stab me in the back. At least I stood up for what was right and actually fought this time rather than just keeping my mouth shut in disbelief that these people ignore these state mandates that I'm just trying to uphold, fat lot of good it did me. I even went straight to the top this time. I got the opinion of someone on the board that actually writes this policy and he totally sided with me. I reported this back to those who make my life miserable and now not only did they still blatantly ignore the policy, they are upset with how I went over their heads.
I just want to not care. I that I'm sitting here being so upset, being in tears, losing sleep, feeling worthless and depressed all for a job that I don't even like. It makes it even worse that I have this lowly job and I'm so worked up about it, and this isn't even something that affects me personally, but I'm taking it so personally.
It's like if I was a french-fry maker at a fast food company. Lots of people want fries. But the fries need to be consistent, so corporate sent all the french fry makers in the company a guideline that tells how the fries should be made. I try to stick to the policy and find that within this policy some of the fries are defective and should be thrown away, but then my manager comes to me tells me that I can't follow this policy because those fries deserve to get processed just like all the other fries who do fit into the guidelines, and I say, "But this could make people sick" and my manager is more concerned with his bottom-line, so I call corporate and they tell me, yes follow the policy and I tell this to my manager and still he tells me to serve those dang fries. And I can tell you this, if corporate is going to blame someone for the policy not being followed, it's not going to be my manager, it's going to be me, because this is my job and the manager is obviously too important to be blamed for his decisions.
I just want to be done. I want to walk in there and tell them to kiss off. But I can't. But it looks like if I'm going to be the one working, I will be doing a job search. I can't work like this. I know I sound like a broken record because this happens over and over, and I know everyone around me is sick of hearing about how I am so upset about this, but seriously, it's all I can think about. When I'm washing my face I'm thinking about my arguments that I used to defend my position and the things I should have said. While I'm going to sleep I list off all the different reasons that this situation doesn't fit the guidelines. During commercials I think about how much I never want to see that place again and how I'm going to act around these people now that my fighting for what I believe in makes me look like an overly-emotional and unprofessional person. I think of all the ways I can look like I'm working and yet not be working because my filling up my work with such spite that it's best I just take a break from it.
I want to stop this cycle of my job making me feel like the actual work that I do everyday is completely irrelevant and they might as well have an automated APPROVED machine and they wouldn't have to give it benefits and think of the savings!
I want to be done with it. I don't want to be dwelling on this on my weekend. MY weekend. My time away from work to spend with my family and now everything I do is lethargic and lacking emotion, probably because I spent it all getting overly emotional on work crap that no one else cares about, so why should I? Why should I indeed.
This is a brain-dump so that hopefully I can go to sleep and then wake up to spend my Saturday loathing the thought that Monday will come sooner than I think.

No comments: