Friday, March 30, 2007

Steven (You Don't Eat Meat)


Thank you Erika. I'm now totally jazzed to buy Morrissey tickets tomorrow. We started goofing off on youtube and now I'm just watching all my favorites. I had no idea that he ever performed 'Jack the Ripper' live. That man puts on a great show. It's kind of sad to see the progression to old Morrissey. He used to be that dapper lad with daffodils and now he's just filled out so much. He's still in really good shape, but the year have definitely aged him. Even just a few years ago there's such a difference.

Why do idols have to get old? What happened to the good old days when they all died of drug overdoses? I think one reason that Hendricks and Morrison have the following and love that they still do because they left beautiful corpses. There was no "Gosh, he got old and fat and now his music seems irrelevant" phase that most musicians slip into. of course there are some people that will never stop. I'm sure that Mick Jagger has made a deal with the devil so that even though he actually died seven years ago, he still keeps touring and rocking it, zombie style. Either that or he's a vampire. He's the undead of some kind.

But Morrissey, geez, he still looks good and has aged well, and Quarry was even a pretty good album. The single from the new album "You Have Killed Me" is stellar, but I don't know whether the rest is. I haven't bought it. I know, I've only had about a year to do it, but I don't go hang out in record stores anymore, poring over what albums I need to own. Perhaps it's the new grown-up in me saying that paying bills is more important that music. Crazy, I know.

I do try to keep current somewhat, but I suppose those old favorites will always be favorites. There's no way Snow Patrol or Death Cab is going to topple Morrissey from his pedestal, no matter how old he is, even if he's tottering around the stage with his walker crooning "Everyday is Like Sunday" and it won't matter that his face is all sunken and old, he'll still be amazing. And every time I look at my birthday card from Erika, I will all the sudden have "Unhappy birthday" stuck in my head for the next hour and I will savor it.

No comments: