Thursday, May 29, 2008

20 Months of Wow

This month has been one of words! You know what animals make what sounds and where the fish live (water, obv) and can repeat most of the alphabet on cue if I tell what to letters to say. Q, R U & W are tricky ones, but you try and that’s good enough.
Dancing is your new fun thing. You are totally into New Wave, but as Daddy proved with his country “music” you’ll dance to anything with a beat. You’re also a real TV addict now. If you can con someone into turning on your videos you will watch them over and over. If the TV isn’t on, you’re miffed about it and keep pointing and grunting. Sorry babe, I can’t let the TV babysit you, apparently they rot your…hey what was I saying? Oh well.
It’s getting warmer and so we starting to take little walks some evenings, you’re still into just watching the world from your stroller, and so that’s fine with me. I’ve been wanting to take you to the tiny park near the house, but that has not been in the cards, but this weekend, fingers crossed, we’ll make it. I say this as it’s raining buckets outside, so we’ll see. But you love swings, our at your uncle’s house, they have a swing set and every single time you went back and forth you said “Whee” so I figured you were having a good time, but then when we had to leave you sobbed and threw a fit! Speaking of throwing a fit, I tried one of the shopping carts that is also a little car for you to drive. We were shopping for a long time, so when it was time to get back into the car, I figured you would be done with it. No sir! You had a little meltdown there in the parking lot. That was fun.
Feeding you is still tricky. Some days mac and cheese will cut it, but some days it’s like poison to your little mouth. But I have discovered that you love raisins, so there is one thing I can get you to eat and they are very portable. We can take raisins to church!
That poor cat, you love him, but it’s very tough love. He will sit there and let you pull out his hair trying to pull him onto your lap or when you try to turn his head for him so you can kiss him. Every time we pull into the driveway you always starting exclaiming “kitty, kitty” and the only way I can get you to leave to go home is by reminding you that there’s a kitty at home who needs you.
I’ve been scrambling to make sure you have a summer wardrobe as when that oppressive summer heat hits us, you’ll need something other then long pants. Time will only tell if I’ve gotten enough shorts to manage the long sweaty days ahead.
You’re going to have to have some more patience with me, as I have very little patience left at the end of the day and can get very frustrated with you. It doesn’t help that your very stubborn and independent now. You have to do everything your way, heaven help us all if I try and tell you no about something. Oh don’t get me started on time outs. They seemed to work for awhile, but now, I can’t get you to sit on the naughty stair for all the tea in China. You melt right off it and onto the floor and then you think you can just go chase the cat as long as I’m not paying attention. I’ve got news for you kiddo, I’m always paying attention. Which leaves us in the middle of our power struggle. I don’t think we’re going to get this resolved any time soon, no matter how much Super Nanny I watch, but I’m sticking to my guns. There will be some kind of discipline in our house!
But for every fit or meltdown is a moment of spun gold where you want me to read to you and climb up on my lap, or you repeat something I just said out of the blue. When that happens all my tensions are released and we just giggle and go back to having fun.

Here’s to more fun this month,
Mama

2 comments:

Becca said...

Come and swing on our swings again....we just upgraded to springy rubber under the playground so you will have fun!!!

Savascha said...

Let me just say, that little badger is one of my favorite friends in the world now. She totally has me wrapped around her little finger, which is evidenced by the fact that I have Baby Dolittle completely memorized now. Just having her sitting on my lap and doing her puzzle over and over again was one of the sweetest things I've ever seen, and every little kiss on my check totally melted me even further. You're one lucky mommy.