Thursday, September 04, 2008

More to Life then Books You Know


So wait. It's September? Holy crap, where did the summer go? We had one really big storm this weekend and apparently it's now autumn. The weather has not recovered and neither have I. I'm sitting here in my hoodie. Isn't it a bit early for hoodies? And I'm still cold anyway so it's not really that helpful, I do have both hoodies here at the office, I could go nuts and wear both of them-at the same time!

Work is slowing down, so I'm thankful for a bit of respite, but the cool breezes are blowing in thoughts of snow. I'm not excited for the winter, but usually here in our region we have a short but lovely fall season. I'm already tasting the candy corn from Halloween. I must be crazy!

It feels like the summer past in flash. No trips, no real summery activities besides the required trip to the local amusement park. Husband was gone for the whole month of July and I think that caused me to not look for anything fun to do outdoors. Still, there were many years I found things to do all summer long.

I remember endless golden summers filled with soccer practices and running through sprinklers. Pictures of me as a little nut brown thing with spindly arms and stringy hair remind me of what it was like having a whole summer to do whatever I wanted. There were berries and cherries to be picked and eaten and games to play. Why can't it be that way again? You know what I miss as well? I miss that going back to school, first day excitement. You had your outfit picked out for weeks and it was brand new, never worn before, because the first day of school was a special day. Finding out who your teacher was and who would be in your class. The butterflies in your stomach the night before trying and failing to fall asleep in the normal amount of time.

Now school starts (taking that one internet class!) and I could care less. I'm not excited, I don't buy new clothes and I don't care who is in my class. Matter of fact, I'm just hoping none of those idiots talk to me. It's not fun anymore. I don't have a clear sense of direction as to what I want to make a career at, I just know it's not this. It's hard to pick a career based on not wanting to do certain things.

But that's not at all a requiem for the lost summer, is it? I need to take some time of and spend it with my family making memories. I hope years from now I don't remember the stupid crap that happens at this job, but I have better things to remember from this time. The smiles on Hayley's face and the time with Husband. I hope those things stay and keep me excited for the next season.

3 comments:

Niki said...

Oh, I hear you. I hear you indeed. Summers used to be a time of whimsical fun, cartoons, sleepovers and just a bit of old-fashioned mischief. Family vacations that you didn't want to go on but secretly kind of did. A well deserved break after a long year of working our tails off.

We did not appreciate those days. Our parents said we didn't, and they were right. Again. Damn it.

Summie said...

Man I miss elementary and all the cool art projects you got to do. Those truely were the days. and do you remember when we use to play bambi? at our old house cause we had this bush that was a "thicket" and we would hid in it? oh man really those were truely the best of days.

Becca said...

Ha haaa Summer...."Bambi" ha haaaa.

Ah....don't you like the fall though! Summer is sooooooooo hot. I like nice cool days and Halloween.....and stuff.......