Tuesday, April 17, 2007

I Like This Boy, He Likes Me Back-I Don't Know Why

I've been meaning to update, but I've been so busy. I mean, Brittney Spears has been wearing different hats every time she leaves the house! So it's hard to keep up with everything.
Yesterday, I pulled the plug. I came home as usual and watched the Simpsons, but then since there was nothing on, I turned off the TV! It was weird. I had dinner made about 20 minutes before Husband was even home! and then I did the dishes! It was crazy. It was almost as if, without the loving glow of the TV, I was able to have a life and move one. But it's too bad I can't test this theory tonight, I mean, House is on tonight! Which means I'll have to also watch American Idol. Last week I decided that the Manjina kid is the smartest. He can't really sing very well, but everyone knows his name. He is mentioned on radio, tv, Internet. It doesn't matter that he's fairly lame, everyone knows which one he is, even if they hate him. He has won the media war. I'm voting for Blake, he's the only thing that keeps me interested in this silly competition.

I'm on a diet. So I'm starving. I'm just eating fruit and vegetables and protein. So what does husband do? He calls me last night (after I've made a delicious stir fry with veggies and more veggies!) and says we should have strawberry pancakes! Because they are full of wheaty goodness! Not at all covered with sugar or butter or happiness at all! I love him, but he really doesn't have any idea what being really healthy is. How is it that he made it to 30 years old and doesn't know that pancakes aren't in most diets? I wish I was a boy, then I could not worry about my expanding waist because I would just wear my pants lower, no biggie.

Now onto life drama. With a twinkle in my eye I thought of how great it would be to be a stay at home mom. I figured that time would come quickly after Husband landed that perfect job. I was thinking May would work. Well, this job is less than perfect. It's very weather dependent and so there have been days that Husband hasn't worked at all and of course, did not get paid either. So May was a pipe dream. So maybe June, maybe then. With Husband's job he can work as much as he wants in the summer. He could work 18 hour days and work 7 days a week. He could make so much money! I could quit! But then things would get cold and wet and then the money would not keep pouring in. I don't think he could make enough money to pay for everything this summer and still save enough for us to make it through those lean winter months. I'm a bit jaded I guess. I suppose some people never have the opportunity to stay home with their kids, so the idea that Husband is working toward that would seem very noble, but I'm a glass is half empty kinda gal and all I see is that maybe I won't get to be home this summer and maybe not next summer either. I guess I should be grateful for what I have, but I've always been in the boat where when people ask me what my career goals are I want to say "full-time mom," and society tells me that being a mother isn't important because someday your spouse might die or leave and then where would you be? While I agree an education is important and every woman should pursue gaining a college degree, isn't it also important to raise your children? Someone has to do it, whether it be the babysitter, the daycare, the TV or someone else, they are going to grow up with something influencing their formative years, why is it should a bad thing for that to be their mother? "but taking time off work to raise children will mean when you re-enter the workforce you will be taking a pay cut and be passed over for higher end jobs" OK, so what if I want to be a mother? But that's not acceptable, it's not important and the pay is crappy.

Okay, I guess I should rant more about that later!

1 comment:

Niki said...

Oh honey, I hear you on FM. Women are expected to be everything. Everything. I think being a stay at home mom is probably one of the hardest and most noble professions. And who says the pay is crap?? You can't spend memories and you'll keep them for the rest of your life, as will your children.

These days, women can be anything they want to be (right, Barbie?), but why is it so hard to be the thing we were created to be.....mothers? It doesn't make any sense. But then again, a lot of the world doesn't make any sense anymore. All we can do is the best we can with what we have. I think you are doing that. Things have a way of working out.

I love you.