Wednesday, April 04, 2007

The Soul Crushing-ness of it All

I do one thing at work. Only one thing. I look at forms and say either 'yes' or 'no' and nothing else. What I hate is when I say no. There are laws regarding this, I abide by them. There are deadlines. I try to work with those who are close. But honestly, when a deadline has passed by 16 months, I am less then sympathetic. I am within my rights and the policy to say no, but then all you have to do is talk to my bosses boss. Even when he says he's on the same page with me, he then turns around and I find that not only are we not on the same page, we're not even in the same book. This makes me look like an idiot to those customers. It also means that the months of bickering and being told that I'm unfair and the usual "lawyering-up" that some threaten and I have to deal with, is all for naught. My opinion and decision is overturned. I get to smile and nod and pretend like I agree too, when I would rather beat my head against the wall in frustration. So why should I even tell anyone 'no' when it doesn't matter? It also makes me frustrated because the people that are told 'no' for the same reason and they accept it when someone else just fights hard enough and they get their 'no' turned magically to a 'yes.'
Today I hate everyone. I hate this job. I hate the lack of structure and rules and really the blatant disregard for policy. I suppose I can just start telling people we have no policy on the matter and anyone with a compelling argument will be considered. I think that would work. Or perhaps I can stop reading through these forms and just get a big stamp that says YES and stamp them all as I receive them. Because here we care nothing for what the rules say, we're all about serving the loud and mean and obnoxious people.
That's what I hate about kids/people today, the sense of entitlement. The whole unearned confidence thing. People don't need to do what's required of them, if the holler loud enough and feel like the deserve something, they expect that we hand it to them. People that treat us poorly because they don't like working at Store X or think that at the place of our employment they they can treat us like crap because we're being paid to take it.
And I will. I can't leave. I need the money.
A few weeks ago when I was thinking that the time to be a stay-at home mom was right around the corner, I knew in my that I wanted to walk into my bosses office and say "Since you're so good at my job, why don't you continue to do it. I quit." This is a pipe dream. I get to tell them instead that "yes, it's totally fine, I will overturn my decision because you feel that the spirit of the law has been met, even if the letter of the law hasn't been." It's fine. I'm just dying inside a little bit every time this happens. But soon I'll have no fire or spirit and sense of self left. Isn't that what corporate America is all about?

No comments: