Thursday, November 13, 2008

Everyday is Start of Something Beautiful

(Part III)
Erika and I find a place to park not too far from the lovely Bluebird Theatre. I think I saw Duran Duran here back in 99 but it didn't look at all familiar so maybe not. It was about 10 minutes until the show actually started. There was only one door open, they were checking IDs and so there were a few people in a line just to get in. They opened a new door, we went in it. We headed inside and were able to get right up front and off to stage right. A got a call on my phone and listened to the voice mail, it was about the single ticket for the next night. I wondered what I should do. The Break and Repair Method would come on with only us standing there for 5 minutes. Their set was just as excellent as the night before, but the sound was better. Every time they started another song, Erika and I would smile at each other because we remembered it and how awesome it was. Then we would also just look at each other and smile because, holy crap, we're in freaking Colorado at the Matt Nathanson concert that we didn't think we'd be getting into! During their set, Erika and I decided we needed to get their CD, no question, I would have bought it in Salt Lake, but Trish needed the rest of my cash so she could get a shirt too. After they were done I decided that since Erika wanted to spend time with her family, if she would let me borrow her car, I would take the single ticket, but not for the $60 I was willing to pay thinking that the Boulder show would be do or die and so I was willing only to pay $45 (for the $20 ticket) so after Erika agreed that she could go see a movie with her brother that night and I could take her car, I sent the person a text. We texted throughout the set of the next opener (since she sucks so much I'm not even going to write her name) and finally she decided that it was not fair that I agreed to pay more earlier and was only willing to pay as much as someone else had already agreed to pay. I told her to go ahead and give the other girl the ticket. I think she was disappoint to lose the extra $15, but now I had already paid for one ticket, I needed to make sure I didn't spent too much money on another one. But Erika and I decided that was the plan: get me a ticket and she'd hang out with her family.

Matt opened with the same song but it's a great opener, mostly the beginning of the set was the same, except for he played Sad Songs instead Weight of it All, then when he got to Sing Me Sweet, which he had played in Salt Lake, but he played the Letter to Elise bridge! We actually listened to a show from 2005 when he did that and I never thought he would play it! If you don't know, Letter to Elise is my favorite Cure song, it's the song that really got me into the Cure. So Yeah! I screamed like a maniac. There was a lot of people talking and being drunk in general, and Matt spent some time trying to get people to at least be respectful. If Matt can hear you onstage while he's playing, it's a bit much. Matt always handles it in a funny way, but still.

It was so weird because the crowd was so different from the Salt Lake crowd. People were singing, but no one was bopping around, people looked a little bored and/or drunk. They just didn't seem as into it, while the people in Utah we're obviously really into the show and having a good time.


He played Amazing Again (again), which is funny to me, because when I listen to that album, I always listen to that song twice before listening to the rest of the album, so hearing it twice was actually perfect for me. he did Suspended solo again and then brought the opener out to help him with Loud, which is from my favorite as well, and it was so fun watching him while she sang the other part of the duet. He mouthed the words and smiled like crazy, I loved it.

The band came back to All we Are which was a nice mellow transition back to the band. We did the Take on Me sing along again, and my side lost again! Maybe I'm bad luck! But it was still fun and I figured out some of the words from the second verse.
Ended with Detroit Waves again, but minus the Eminem bit. Similar banter about how they were going to pretend it was their last song, we would yell and clap and they would come and do the songs already listed on the set list but only because they loved us so much.

When they came back (after being already on the helicopter) and played a cover of All I have to Do is Dream, which we all know. I have a little clip of it posted on Youtube, since I thought it was so cool, but at the same time the trip and the lateness of the hour was catching up to us. I remember that i wanted to be really excited, but I couldn't muster enough energy, so I could only be moderately excited. It was also almost midnight and the concert, which could be the only one was coming to a close, now the only song left was Come On Get Higher, which we had heard several times that day already, even though it's a great song, the mystery for the evening was gone. But we still grooved to it and appreciated that we never planned on being here, so we were lucky. We also decided that we needed to send a thank you note to the person who sold us their tickets.
After the show the band members were breaking down the set, and John Thomasson jumped down and talked to us. I had snagged a poster from the front door and so I had him sign that. We told him about our adventure and he was impressed. We wanted to talk to the rest of the band (and of course Matt) and so we hung out while the venue people tried to kick us out again. There was a tiny entrance room outside the stage area, and I was hoping that Matt would show up there to sign and meet people. At first we pretended with were with the band and so didn't have to leave, but we could only fake that for so long, then we hung out at the little bar area for a bit, but it was obvious that they wanted us out. So we saw some of the first band The Break and Repair Method outside and there were also buses and people moving equipment, so we figured that couldn't be too bad. Outside we met the drummer (Mr Smiley) and the guitar player and I got a picture with the drummer, whose name is Ryan. We told them how much we loved them and that we show them in Utah. I told Ryan he was my favorite new drummer and I hugged him. He in turn invited Erika and I to the after party which was at a bar called Streets of London, and as fun as hat would be, it was late and we were exhausted. We told him about our plight for a ticket for the next night, but said that since they were the opening band, they didn't really have any tickets they could give to people. I accosted each other member of Matt's band and got signatures and photos. I was glad to get a photo with Konrad. He seemed very impressed with our tale of driving all day and getting tickets last minute. He shook my hand several times and was very sweet. I had Aaron pause in his work of getting everyone's stuff onto the bus (seriously, everyone else is standing around and working intermittently, but Aaron, he's always working) and he took a very serious looking picture with me.
We asked if Matt was coming out, since there weren't really any other fans left, it was band members and roadies. Aaron said that he was with friends but would probably be coming out. There were 2 other girls waiting for Matt, that was it. At this point we felt a bit stalker-ish, but we'd come so far and it could be our last chance to see Matt, and they didn't say he wouldn't come out, so we waited. The other girl had a tattoo on her foot which we learned was her name in Hebrew.

Matt popped out of the tour bus, which means there must have been another door to that things that we couldn't see, we'd been guarding it closely. He talked to the other girls and we took their picture for them. He recognised the Hebrew writing on the girl's foot right away, which was neat. He saw us and smiled. He gave us hugs and we took a picture together. He asked how we'd been and Erika asked him if he really wanted to know. He was all sorts of intrigued. Erika related our story about tickets and the drive. He was really impressed. I apologized for my annoying behavior 2 nights prior. I explained that I felt like anything I wanted to say to him needed to be said soon, since he probably wouldn't be able to do meet and greets with fans anymore since he was getting to be a bigger artist. He told me that he was the master of his own destiny. I said that he would have to be more like Tori Amos and have the fans behind the cattle fences and he laughed and said that he loved Tori, but that Tori also loved Tori and the myth that surrounds her, which sounds weird, but I totally get was he was saying. I thanked him fro playing Letter to Elise and that we had been listening to a show from 2005 that day where he'd done the same thing. He said he's played it a few time this tour and talked about the new Cure record. We were both apprehensive about it. I told him that my favorite album was Still Waiting For Spring and he said I must have been glad to hear Loud, I said that I was and also Amazing Again two concerts in a row and I explained the way I listen to that album and song over and over. I told him that while Disintegration may have been the best album ever at the time, Still Waiting for Spring was my pick for only album on a deserted island. Erika took a photo of us, but thinking she wanted us to pose he got distracted and we then faked an action shot while I got to say "Okay,act like I totally just said something funny."
He asked if we were headed to see them in Boulder, I told him that we were going to try, but we'd have to see how things went. He told us to try and get tickets, but if we couldn't just to find one of his people. Now I've given thought to this kind of situation when things have not gone well for me at concerts, so I asked him how that would work, how I would find his people. And he said "No, you know what, you've come too far. Don't worry about it. I'll put you on my guest list." Then he wrote my name (first and last!) on his hand and wrote +1. Matt Nathanson had my FULL name written on his HAND. The one he holds the guitar neck and microphone with. I rock. We said thank you and that we wouldn't keep him any longer, we'd just see him the next night, and he said bye, and as we were taking off his manager yelled "Bye Willow!" and we yelled bye in return and giggled our way back to car. I finally looked at what Matt had written on my poster and it made me giggle even harder "I need Willow" How awesome is that? It was about 2 am now and even though we were insanely tired we still had to drive and find Erika's brother's house. So we didn't get into bed until 2:30 and much giggled happened after that. We were too excited to sleep. I had visions of getting backstage, being let in first before anyone else to the show and things like that. It took a while for my brain to shut down.

No comments: