Thursday, November 13, 2008

Making the Tough Calls

These are going in chronological order, so start at the bottom and work you're way up if you are so inclined.
When I got home from the Salt Lake show I was just still so jazzed, that I hopped right online and found that disappointingly, the Denver show was sold out, but the Boulder show didn't say and when i tried to get tickets, they just said unavailable. There was still hope. I texted Erika and we went back and forth on how we could get tickets and if they were really sold out, and what we would do if they were. Erika was excited to see her family and also to see Matt again. The show was so amazing, it was a ride we didn't want to end so soon.
We decided to try for tickets tomorrow and finalize our plans.
Soon enough it was Sunday and I was trying to get my lesson figured out and still talked to Erika at least twice before church. Tickets for Boulder were also sold out, but the box office said that if there were unclaimed tickets, we might be able to get some. They also recommended Craig's list, which i had never thought of. I spent so much time googling tickets and looking at ticket brokers who didn't even have tickets, but every time someone posted on Craig's list that they had an extra ticket or two, they were gone in minutes. There were only single tickets that we could possibly get. We decided that we needed to get 2 or there was no deal, since it would be terrible if only one of us got to go to a show.
We decided that Boulder was our best bet. It hadn't been sold out as long as Denver and was a smaller town. We were hopefully but not overly optimistic. There was a real possibility that we wouldn't get into either show. Erika posted on Craig's list that we were looking for tickets and gave out her cell number so people could reach us while we traveled. We decided to both head into work on Monday, make our excuses, take care of a few essentials and come home on Wednesday. We would leave late Monday, probably noon, and make it to Erika's brother's house around 8, which is when the Denver show would be starting, so we had pretty much written off that concert all together. I had written to someone on Craig's list and told them that if they wanted to make some extra cash on their $20 ticket, I might be willing to pay $60 for it, since if we had one ticket, it would be easier to get just one more, I reasoned. They said they would get back to me if they were interested.
Erika showed up just before 11 to get me. She was too excited to stay at work, I took almost every Matt CD I owned and we were off after getting gas and snacks.
After we'd been the road about an hour and after we'd been keeping in touch with her brother via texting we got a call from a Colorado number. Thinking it was Erika's bro, we told him to call us back. After a few minutes I noticed that their was a voice mail. I checked it and it was someone from Craig's list about tickets for Matt! I called them back, but since 15 minutes had passed the tickets were gone. We were bummed and decided that since Erika's number was online, I should hang onto her phone to make sure we heard (or felt it) it with the music on. We listened to Matt, I had 2 live CDs and all the albums that I own. We listened to every one of them before we turned on some 80's tunes. The weather was a bit crap in Wyoming and about 3:30 it seemed like the sun had set. It got dark and then we hit Colorado. The scenery was much nicer from what I could tell while there was some residual daylight left. About 45 minutes away from Denver there's another phone call that i answered. I thought it was Erika's sister in law at first, so I didn't quite catch what was going on and it was hard to hear in the car. It was someone else calling about our Craig's list posting. They had tickets for tonight's show and they would give them to us for face value or $25 each. Erika and I decided to go for it, we were going to just make it in time to get the tickets and go. We were lucky that she lived close to the venue so we had Enough time to pick them up since we still had to finish driving to Denver!
We got a little lost on our way to her house, but not too bad, our gas light also came on, so we ended up paying way too much for gas since it was 20 cents cheaper just one block farther, but you can't chance those things. The girl whose tickets we were getting was so nice. She was a med student and had to study that night. It was a Monday, even if it felt like a weekend to us.
It was such a cute neighborhood, all little older houses with no driveways or garages.
We flew to the Walgreen's and got dressed and put on new deodorant and make up since we'd been sitting in a gross car for 8 hours. Then it was on to the show!!!!

No comments: